Archive

9.27.2004

Sky Captain and the World of 1940

Saturday used to be the fun day. Ninja Turtles was on and friends would come over, we'd blow on the Nintendo cartridges all day trying to get them to work. After giving up we'd just go outside and hit each other with sticks. It was the most funnest day. Now Saturdays are miserable. The day might as well not even exist. What was once so closely associated with fun in my mind is now just work day and the day before the day before I have school again. Everyone works on Saturdays now, so it's almost illegal to do anything then.
SO, I decided to try and recapture the glory days of Saturday morning by going to see the new movie "Sky Captain and the World of tomorrow". I headed for the "Palace" cinema with a couple movies in mind. Maybe I'll see Bernie Mac's "Mr. 3000" it's about baseball craziness, how on earth will Bernie get his 3000th hit again!? He's soooo old! How can I lose? The next choice was "Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow". Hmm, I like the word Captain and I'd love to see what the world of tomorrow looks like! I had also read a favorable review before-hand that said things like "different" and "pleasant", whatever, it has giant freakin robots and Angelina Jolie and giant robots. So I gave the scary man behind the counter my 7.50 and headed right toward theater eight.
I went into the movie with a few biases, first of all I hate the entire cast. Jude Law is the snootiest Brit since the Queen herself, Gwyneth Paltrow is the Queen of mediocre and Angelina Jolie is just Angelina Jolie. I also heard that the whole movie was done on blue screen...Which reminded me of another movie that was done all on blue screen...The Star Wars prequal trilogy, that didn't necessarily mean anything good or bad to me, but I was wary about how they could pull off a completely CGI environment...
The visual style of the movie took me about fifteen minutes to get used to, they accomplished a good CGI world look by blurring the film and adding this strange soft outline quality to it which makes everything look more real but also makes your eyes bleed.
Turn off your cell phones and stop smoking, the movie's starting!!! WHAt the!? 5 minutes in and I learn that the "world of tomorrow" is actually the world of 1940! But alas, I enjoy the 1940's noir style, I do own a couple fedoras myself. Even though it was hard to see what was going on at times because of the blurriness, the style of this movie is fantastic.
'Sky Captain' went all out with the 1930's and 40's style of Buck Roger-esqe action serial where everything is so clear cut, villain, hero, the girl and what needs to be accomplished spelled out in the sky. Though I realized what it was supposed to be, I felt like I was riding an emotional fence in regards to my opinion of the film. At times there were images and things that were just so crazy and far fetched (even for me) that at any second I felt that I could fall to one side and think that this movie was absolutely absurd. On the other side there's the Saturday morning cartoon aspect that's just fun escapist entertainment. In the end the fun side of the movie really took over and that's all you notice. Sky Captain is definitely meant to be overthetop and that's something you have to realize going in to see it, if you try and overanalyze it you'll ruin it for yourself. Just don't think, accept, be a robot. Like they say in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 theme song "repeat to yourself it's just a show, you should really just relax".

7.95/10 horseshoes

No comments:

Post a Comment