Archive

1.25.2005

A Life...of the FUTURE!


I was thumbing through an old 'Woman's Day' issue from April, 1951 and found my dream home, in an old Chrysler ad nonetheless. "*Pronounced as spelled - Cry-sler". Viewing the picture alone it would probably take you a while to guess that it was a car ad, are they selling me a time share? A car? A lifestyle? Right! They want you to know that if you own this car you'll be a cut above your neighbors. Heck, you're so on the cutting edge that you might as well buy a Frank Lloyd Wright too! You're living so far in the future that you should just move to an isolated seaside estate where the streets are golden and those still living in 1951 can't bother you with their Korean wars.
Anyway, I do love that house. This picture is sort of how feel when I start spacing out and feeling relaxed, or when I hear a song I enjoy. The scene of a husband a wife sitting expressionless in their car, in front of a house, in the middle of road, staring at nothing in particular. That's the future alright. I also get the feeling that pictures like this were the inspiration for the movie 'Gattaca'. The old cars and the FLW homes, right on the money. Well kids, this is what we have to look forward to. Sterility.

No comments:

Post a Comment