Archive

3.16.2005

Two Reviews...

The Dave Matthews Band has released their new single via AOL (aka the devil), called "American Baby". There's really not much to say, it's the most vanilla song ever. Not bad, not great, it's a song. But it's still a crapload better than anything from 'Everyday' (except 'So Right', 'Fool to Think' and 'Everyday' which rule)
It starts out nice and groovy but then Dave's badly mixed guitar comes in. The verse ensues with lyrics about God knows what (probably something about how Kerry should have won). Then a few seconds later the repetitive chorus kicks in "Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay American Baby!" Yes, stay American, we're the greatest country on the planet.
On the plus side, Stefan's verse bassline is absolutely fantastic and the jam at the end of the song is pretty cool and is going rock live.
I'm not going to pass judement on the album yet, considering I haven't heard it. Sure, I'm worried, the song isn't terrible, but I fear that they've decided to go with the pop music sound of Everyday again, something they aren't very good at.
I'm still pretty excited though, I'm sure they'll be at least five or six excellent songs on the album. And I'm also sure that it will be better than Everyday AND Busted Stuff, both of which weren't too bad. There are some good songs on Everyday, some that I love to hear live. 'American Baby' isn't close to being as bad as the worse song on Everyday, I know that's not something to really be excited about, the band should have higher standards, but it means there will be plenty of great music coming from this new album. Basically anything upbeat and fun will be great to hear live, especially after the really depressing string of songs dave seemed to be writing in the past four or five years.
The cover art for "Stand Up" is now up too, which is hideous, looks like they're trying to sell a Mercedes Benz.
6.96/10 Sad Robots.
----------------------

Robots
I don't feel like writing a review, but it's cute, a good movie, go see it. Some ingenious visuals and entertaining humour, lots of interesting characters.
I give it 7.89/10 Happy Robots.

No comments:

Post a Comment