Archive

4.29.2005

Star Wars Tickets/ Hitchhiker's Guide

YyyyyEEEEAASsss!!! I woke up at the crack of 10 today and headed over to the Palace theater to buy me some advanced tickets for Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith! It seriously seems like yesterday when I was buying the tickets for episode I. I sat out in the long line next to the theater in the baking sun for over two hours, watching nerds play Star Wars CCG and have lightsaber battles. I also remember sitting there thinking about what episode III would be like and how old I'd be when it came out...19!? Wow! That's old! I'll be like married by then or something!
Yeah, well, it's here now and I can't believe it. I really believe this final installment of the trilogy is going to deliver big time. I've also decided on my costume for opening night, I'm going as George Lucas. I need to gain a few lbs and grow my beard out but other than that I just need blue jeans and a flannel shirt and a pouty face, "aarrererrrrgh, star wars is my burdennnnn, god kill me pleeeease".

I also saw 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' today. I'm going to start off my review with my rating...I give it a 7.432222/10 Annoying Androids. Yeah, not bad, not great, EH!
There were some great moments in the movie, the visuals were pretty unique and so were most of the characters, but there are just too many basic problems.
1. There's no "mcGuffin". There really isn't any strong motivation or ultimate goal that is trying to be reached in the film, there's no sense of urgency to achieve anything which is a real problem because it leaves the movie feeling empty, robbing it of excitement.
2. The humor falls pretty flat most of the time. I really like the BBC show "The Office", so the British humor was not the problem at all. There wasn't any stupid humor that makes you cringe either. It just seems like the writers didn't try very hard to write good jokes.
3. Marvin the Paranoid Android gets old really fast. I think there's only so many times he can say "no one listens to me anyway" or "what's the point" before the audience says "HEARD IT". I pretty sure Alan Rickman was in the studio for a total of five minutes and recorded maybe three lines, which were reused throughout the film.
4. Mos Def is the poor man's Orlando Jones. Mos Def is pretty good in other roles, but for this movie, practically the entire time I kept picturing how much better Orlando Jones could have delivered the lines. I make the comparison because Def acts so similar to Jones in this movie, I'm not sure what the deal is.
5. The sound fx were almost non existent in this movie. I guess it's something you take for granted but you really miss them when they're gone. I'd just like to stop now and thank Ben Burt for his outstanding work on the Star Wars movie's sound. SPACE MOVIES NEED ENVIRONMENTAL AMBIANCE SOUND, 'hitchhikers' was like watching a cartoon almost.

anyway, I know I bashed this quite a bit, but really if you like something different, I recommend seeing it. But for most of you, just wait til it's out on video.

1 comment:

  1. I need to apologize for my hasty comment about Mos Def being the poor man's Orlando Jones. Even if that were true it doesn't prove anything I was trying to prove so, yeah.

    ReplyDelete