Archive

7.22.2005

Back in Business

and ain't it grand...

That's right, let the good times roll, we're back kids. If you want to know about any potential future long periods of time where there won't be anything new on the site, send an e-mail to whosinthenews@hotmail.com and say "I like pie" or "sign me up, fo real" and I will sign you up for the newsletter which I probably won't be able to figure out how to make work anyway.
Or maybe you don’t want to, maybe you like the excitement of checking the site everyday for new material, in that case, keep on checkin’.

Aaaah, so, what have I been doing this summer? Quite a bit actually, quite a bit. And I don't remember most of it, in fact I don’t remember much of anything, BUT, there have been a couple summer blockbusters that I never really wrote reviews for...
Batman Begins: The Imax experience - I already wrote a very positive review for Batman Begins, but I feel like I need to add some more thoughts after seeing it at an Imax theater last night. Ok, I absolutely loved this movie the first few times I saw it, but last night there were some things that kind of annoyed me or fell really flat. I'm not sure what happened, but a few of the previously small flaws seemed glaring to me now...
1. Katie Holmes just can't act, at all. Her expression for angry, in love, shocked and serious all look the same. It's like Derek Zoolander's "blue steel" look.
2. The death of Bruce Wayne's parent's has almost no emotional impact on me whatsoever. Maybe I'm totally desensitized, but I felt like I was trying to force myself to feel sad or stunned during the Wayne parent's death scene. Before I saw the film I knew that (for me at least) much of the believability of Bruce's character would hinge on whether or not you could identify with his pain, which would be accomplished through his parent’s murder. I know (in this movie) that the Wayne's murder is supposed to place the focus on evil men who created Joe Chill, but I still don't think there's nearly enough shock value. In Batman 89 you feel genuinely frightened during Bruce's flashback to his parent's death. The faceless evil comes out of the darkness and kills his parents for no real reason, it‘s a tragedy. In 'Begins' the murder is portrayed as too much of a fluke, an accident, so it's really not that painful.
3. The fight scenes, aaah. Didn't bother me in the least the first few times and I was even wondering why some people were complaining about them, but NOW...I can't see a friggin thing! There are times, like when Batman beats up the men at the docks, when the close-up, jumbled fight scenes work great. But I REALLY think that AT LEAST the last fight between Batman and Ras on the train should have been more Matrix-esque.
Other than those things, the movie is wonderful and still leaps and bounds above the previous bat films.

Aaand the next movie...Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
I'm still not sure what to think of this movie. Overall I enjoyed it, it's fun, but the mood of the film is kind of confusing. It's like a sugar coated kiddy movie with dark elements seeping through in places. It has Tim Burton's trademarks working as a thin skeleton which prop up these freakishly bright images.
The original Wonka created a magical place based within in the real world of groovy 1960's Germany. The new film tries to create those same magical elements such as the golden ticket contest and all the crazy personalities of the kids, in a much more confined, imaginary world, which reminded me of Ron Howard's Whoville. I really think most of the point (and magic) of the Charlie and the Chocolate factory story is based on being able to identify with Charlie and the desperation he feels. In this new film, Charlie lives in a fanciful world where desperation and poverty seem unreal and much of the sadness we're supposed to feel for Charlie is deflected by our investigation in Wonka's bizarre past which comes across as a cutesy side story or something.
Anyway, I’m done bashing. This film succeeds for a few reasons.
1. Burton's little evil twists and biting humor usually works. There are some hilarious moments in the film and some really strange humor that sets this one apart from the old Wonka. My favorite scene being when the contest winners enter the gates of the factory and watch Wonka's it’s-a-small-world-like animatronics who sing a song and then catch fire, melting into scary, disfigured robots right in front of the children and their parent‘s.
1. CGI - I hate it, I love it, I hate it...The magical world of Wonka's factory is finally realized now thanks to technology. His workshop is a far more expansive and imaginative place than it was in the old film.
3. And thirdly, of course, Johnny Depp is a freakin genius. The man can act (though some people may disagree "acting like a pirate is easy"). He succeeds in setting apart his Wonka from Gene Wilders, creating an equally loveable and equally unique figure, which is what was needed.


Back to my summer happenings: Luke is now living in my room. He’s been leeching off my room for days now with no end in sight.
It aaaalllllll started last week when his parents inexplicably kicked him out of his house. Luke says he didn’t do anything to cause it, and I believe him, but only because his old man is pure evil.
Anyway, maybe he'll write a story about it, I dunno, he may still be too bitter to discuss it, but hopefully he will reveal his tricks of the homeless trade and also discuss his plans for the future…and when the crap he’s going to leave.

What did I do today? Thanks for asking. Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll, Luke and I were driving back from old Nashville today. We were nearing Champaign, Illinois, close to home, when I started to lose consciousness. I had succumbed to what is known as “road hypnosis” which is caused by staring at the lines in the road...and this happened...REFER TO MAP>>>

Yep. Biggest detour ever. Remember: Click it or ticket it, booze it or looze it, drive hammered, get nailed and most importantly of all: "Keep your eyes on the prize and off the yellow line".

No comments:

Post a Comment