Archive

7.01.2005

Luke's Big Adventure

Well, it's the first of July, and I woke up like I do on any other day. I had gone to bed at 8:30 and woke up at 7:00 in the morning. Like usual I thought I had to work but I got lucky and got called off for the day. Now this is where the real story starts. My mom came downstairs and told me that somebody was coming to look at our house and that I should leave as soon as possible. Well, I'm about to walk out the door until I realize that I have no vehicle to drive around in. With nothing else to do, I decided to set out on a journey. This was a journey that I will never forget. I packed up my backpack and headed from my home in Normal to my Brett's house in Towanda. It took roughly two hours and you can look it up on mapquest if you really have to know how far it was. I managed to find several oasis' on the way and one lagoon. Once I parted from Constitution trail, I knew I was a free man. The grain bins and water tower, in Towanda, were my north star as I set out onto the quiet backroads of Illinois. I am pretty proud of myself for making it without a compass and almost getting hit by a John Deere tractor. It followed me for a mile or so until I ran out of energy. I thought I was a goner. Fortunately, it drove on by and I kept on trecking. That's pretty much the end of this story. It's not quite as interesting as I thought it would be. I may take random biking trips in the future because I actually enjoyed it. Could I go cross country? Only time will tell. Could I ride to the tip of South America? Only time will tell.

1 comment: