Archive

12.22.2005

What's the Word? A Word Up.

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Just got back from Florida and have plenty of stuff to write about, BUT, when I got home today I noticed that my computer suddenly decided not to boot anymore, I guess the hardrive is dead, or something.

UPDATE
mmm aye, it'll probably be a while till I post anything, my computer needs a good kicking...something or other, but it's broke and I don't like using this computer, so, I might be back in a week or so.

I'll just give a VERY quick little review of
King Kong and Chronicles of Narnia here...
Both of these holiday season blockbusters have quite a bit in common; they both have sub-par, cartoonish CGI and they both go nowhere fast. Yeah, this is my super trite, cranky review but I just didn't like these movies. I'm not sure what it is but I just wasn't in the mood for these films that came across as really rushed and substanceless. It was like watching someone play a videogame for 3 hours.
The Chronicles of Narnia...uuuuh, first of all I was not expecting another Lord of the Rings, so that's not the problem...The problem is that this film is just a total snooze fest, and not an artsy, deep and relaxing Fellowship of the Ring snoozefest. I honestly couldn't have cared any less about the characters or what was even going on; the battle was lame, the characters were forgettable and the CGI was bad. Overall it's not a terrible film, but definitely not good, it's just...forgettable, a lot like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and in my opinion there's nothing worse than an average, vanilla movie. At least really crappy movies (Batman and Robin) still get talked about, evoking some emotion...even if it is mostly hatred.
And that's all it is, a very disappointing, meh. And the best part is that it will probably make enough money to warrant the making of the other three relavent books, "Last Battle" and the other one I can't remember, BUT fortunately no one forces me to go the theater!


King Kong
on the other hand isn't nearly as mediocre. It at least had some action to keep things rolling and was able to keep my attention until just before they capture Kong and bring him back to New York. After that it seems to just flop to the end. In the last 45 or so minutes we get more "love" scenes between Naomi Watts and Kong that simply repeat the same thing that was shown in about five other scenes earlier in the film. And there's almost no resolution or learned lesson except for Jack Black's brilliantly delivered line "it was beauty that killed the beast" ...mmm great, sooooo, and? I'll admit that Peter Jackson really fleshed out an otherwise one dimensional story about a Monkey, yes, there are underlying themes and messages about greed and understanding "monsters", but the movie is just too 'busy' for any of those things to truly work or sink in. I felt like I was like watching the Temple of Doom but with a deep "profound" message trying desperately to work to the surface, but it never does and we end up with a slightly fancier version of Congo.

Yeah, sorry for the crankiness tonight. Are they worth seeing? Sure, wait for video though. They'll make nice teusday night popcorn rentals, but start it before 8 pm because they're both unecessarily long.

Chronicles of Narnia - 7.47/10 turkish delights
King Kong - 7.9311/10 Naomi Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment