Archive

12.04.2004

Alexander

I felt like watching a three hour movie today, so I checked the movie listings, hmm what's out now that's three hours long and starring hunky leading man Collin Ferral...of course, Alexander! I'm not going to review it in detail, but it's worthy of a 5.50 matinee price, maybe not 6 but it was better than I heard it would be, although the ambiguous gay tention throughout was a little hard to handle. Val Kilmer was excellent as the one-eyed, drunkard king Phillip of Macedonia! "You're dangerous Alexander, I like that, you can be my heir anytime" and Angelina Jolie's lip's performance was excellent as the conniving mother of Alexander.
Overall it was fairly well done, though the last hour kind of leaves you thinking "land the plane", I mean, there's only so many lands you can watch Alexander conquer before it starts to get stale. The movie is just packed full of violence, motivational speeches and intrigue with that special touch of Oliver Stone's fauxtriversy, so I'd recommend this movie if you have three extra hours this week.
To my suprise 'Vangelis' the guy who did the music for Blade Runner also did the score for this movie too. Not a good choice for an 'epic' type film. I'm pretty sure it had to be one of the worst film scores of recent memory, it was so overbearing at times and sounded like it was all done on a keyboard. There would be a simple dialogue scene which requires no music, yet there would be this grand electro-trumpet-ambiance overture blaring. I kept expecting Harrison Ford at any second, walking into Alexander's tent "sorry Al, you're a replicant"... (Cue rediculous future gun sound effect).
Oh well, it's Vangelis, the one name says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment