Archive

12.03.2004

First Week of Second Retirement

Gather round children, this week has been a doosie! I'm finally finishing up the horrendous experience known as Heartlandcommunitycollegeenglishprogram. Finally! So many pointless papers and work citeds!! OY! So, to celebrate I traveled to Blockbuster Video to rent Goldeneye "no relation" Rogue Agent. I walk in and see that they actually have an available copy, yay, I take it to the checkout and sweet cheeks working the register says "you owe 17 dollars, I'm not allowed to let you rent anymore until you pay it". Mmm, yeah, well see, this is what happens when you share an account with your family. So I ran away in tears and drove myself over to family video where I promptly created a new account and got a free rental and half off for a month! WOO! So I rented Metroid Prime 2 instead. I really liked the first one so I was fairly excited about number 2. In this new installment of Metroid for the gamecube Samus responds to a distress signal (like the first) which leads her to a boring planet sparsely populated by an uber religious alien race (like the first) called Illuminoths. Once again it's Samus' job to save these aliens from something. There' lots of walking and looking and wondering what you're supposed to do next. It's one giant empty planet filled with ambiguous dangers. But unlike the last game, there's actually a motivation for wanting to destroy the evil, which is kind of nice. Though it lacks action, problem solving, mystery, plot and character interaction or development, metroid prime is mostly a game about seeing how well a person can follow a map. And I've gotten quite good at that.
The other wonderful thing that happened this week- I was at the Woodfield Mall in Peoria and found Beetlejuice for 10 bucks, if you haven't seen this movie then you're missing out on one of the most bizarre movies ever made. Catherine O'hara and Michael Keaton are just awesome in it and Winona Ryder's character is great too "my life is one giant, dark, room."
And Jeffery Jones' character peering out the window with his binoculars, "hey, nice building...bad roof...gooood parking".

No comments:

Post a Comment