Archive

1.19.2005

When I'm Sixty-Four

Time for a nostalgic moment...I've always been very intrigued by the book "Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Henry Dana jr. I think I've attempted to read the book about ten times but can never actually get past a chapter or two. I can't even begin tocomprehend the sea fairing terminology, yet I love this book that I’ve never actually read. Maybe I wish I were Richard Dana, just leaving everything behind. Heading out onto the great, vast, unknown ocean. The closest I could really get to that now would be the navy and that’s not gonna happen. Oh well. But I was thinking that maybe, just one day, when I'm a feeble old man, I'd like to go back to Dana point in California, stare out across the ocean and finally finish this book. I’d take a deep breath of the sweet and salty air. Then gag a little at the putrid ocean stench. Then, head to the Jolly Roger’s and have some delicious fish, then maybe color the kids placemat and get a free desert.
Mmm, who's with me!? I hope this wasn't too nostalgic for you.

1 comment: