Archive

2.06.2005

Sewper Bohl

You know what I love most about the Superbowl? All the celebrities! They're everywhere, it's like the golden globes but without the boring lifetime achievement speeches and fashion critiques. The game is basically irrelevant, just a side attraction in an elaborate carnival of American excess. It’s actually better than any awards show because it’s not just beautiful people or the most talented actors. We’ve got Nascar drivers, washed up athletes and stars of cable television shows. And look! It’s Will Smith! Hey, Will2k, who do ya thinks gonna win the big game?
“Woo! Ha-ha! Uncle Phil!”
I said who do you thi…
“I'm gonna have ta put ma G’s on P-hilly, jigga, ha-ha! They mad cuz I got front seats to da laker…”
“Thanks Will.”
It's all about the hype. The great, white hype. So pure and glorious. If there were (dare I say) no hype, people would go to Sunday night church instead. But God understands that we need to bask in the richness of sport, and share in the aura surrounding those fortunate and wealthy enough to attend such spectacle. If not, it would simply be the last game of the season, exciting only for major NFL buffs, compulsive gamblers and people who enjoy being sold products through expensively placed humourous pitches.

Anyway, I usually don't make it a point to pay attention to the Superbowl or commercials but this year I'll have have my lawn chair parked in front of the big screen so that I'm sure not to miss the new Batman Begins promo spot. And f anyone in the room blasphemes by saying things like "eh, it doesn't look that good" or "how come the Joker didn't kill his parents?" I'll rip their lungs out.

and so, I gots my Lamar Lathon Panthers extra large jersey on and am ready to eat, gorge and occasionally glance at the tv while continuing to eat meat...of course while thinking of those children around the world who cannot partake in such things.

---------------------------------------POSTGAME...
BATMAN! BATMAN! BATMAN! The trailer was mostly previously seen footage but the few new shots were enough to hold me over for another day. The scarecrow looks fantastic and the scene of the pre batmobile batmobile driving through the test warehouse is pretty COOL!
Lucious Fox: "How do you like it?"
Bruce Wayne: "Does it come in black?"
I didn't even have to hurt anyone tonight! Everyone seemed genuinely interested in it, awesome!
Oh yeah, the game seemed more dull than usual, I don't know. McNab really blew it, way to lose loser. Oh, that was mean. The whole team sucks. Hooray for Patriots I guess, they win again. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment