Archive

6.12.2006

Here I Am...Rock You Like a Hurricane

Hey y'all, I'm back, from outer space.
Anyway so yeah, I got a new deodorant recently, true story...
Let me just turn off the lights and project my thoughts for a moment...
It was two or three months ago that I had settled on the "fresh" scent of invisible solid Right Guard as my antiperspirant of choice. In fact I liked it so much that I bought two of them, because once the first ran out I didn't want to wait (and Paula Cole agrees). Then, a few mornings ago I was winding down to the last little bit of the stick, desperately wiping my underarm to prolong its glorious life. But then before I could give it one last hurrah it fell off the stick, gliding gently to the floor, to its death. So, a few sad days later I made a special trip to Wal-Mart with only one thing in mind, to see if they started carrying Maxim again, BUT ALSO to stock up on my own, my deodorant, myyyy preciousssssss. I scoured the aisles for it, I wanted it, I NEEDED it. I began fervently looking everywhere for that black stick with the cool blue writing; "fresh"...ohhhhhh yeaaahhh! My eyes were directed to the small Right Guard section...but...but, where is it? Turns out the A holes at the Gillette company discontinued that certain scent...so I look for whatever appears to be the closest new-version substitute and all they have is "Sport". Generally I steer clear of any products that have the suffix 'sport', or 'xtreme', especially when it comes to deodorants since my last experience wasn't good, and since I don't usually "sport". I swear the stuff is like paint primer. When you're in the shower washing your pits there's no getting it off, it's there to stay, it's disgusting.
I wasn't going to get it but I decided to sniff anyway... and, what I smelled nearly changed my life, it's like every beautiful smell of life combined into one scent. A perfect Irish spring morn, dancing with hundreds of leprechauns all singing the 'Safety Dance' while being showered in golden rain. It's like if Yankee Candle made a deodorant and called it "smell 'O' heaven". It's like a thousand fresh laundries with a thousand Snugglebears reenacting the battle of Endor. And so now, I have a new "my" deodorant, until they change it to Xtreme, which is always the next unavoidable stage of the Right Guard cycle. Right Guard>Right Guard 24 hr>Right Guard shield>Right Guard sport>Right Guard Extreme protection>Right Guard Xtreme Maximum Power>Right Guard Everlasting Sweatstopper>
Repeat cycle.

Uh huh, I told you it was a good story.

In other news, I finally listened to Genesis' 'Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' all the way through WHILE reading the lyrics carefully. In general I'm a pretty crappy listener when it comes to music. I rarely pay attention to lyrics, especially if they aren't blatantly obvious. I've heard the album numerous times and, of course, it's a story about a Puerto Rican kid in New York City named Rael who is "magically" transported to an alternate dimension within the city. This other "reality/existence" is filled with strange and unsual things ala Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland...the problem for me was that I never actually followed the happenings of the story lyrically or payed much attention to subtle themes and commentary, which it's loaded with. This time, however, I experienced the story as a whole and can now see the important dimension I missed before, the real brilliance of the work, which lies in clever and insightful way that of spirituality and self-image are dealt with. Before, I simply enjoyed this as loosely connected and good songs...like I do with too many other records, always missing the message...but now it's almost a cinematic experience for me. The climax and finale function just like a movie really, and there's a part toward the very end during 'In the Rapids' when Gabriel sings
And when the waters slow down
The dark and the deep
have no-one, no-one, no-one, no-one
no-one left to keep.
Hang on John! We're out of this at last.
Somethings changed, that's not your face.
It's mine - it's mine!
which immediately segues into the last song "It" to create a genuinely moving moment. So good.

Ergo, visa vi, concordantly...if you have not heard this masterpiece then you need to check it out. Even if you're not a fan of Genesis it's still a fun-filled and imaginative experience, not to mention it's just a classic album that any music fan should hear at some point.

Welp, that's all I got for now, so to quote some Christian band, "you've got the choice, you get to choose, so go ahead and have fun" Or somethin somethin. Oh yeah, if anyone's having trouble seeing all of the blog, please tell me, I widened the margins but I'm not sure if that fits into everyone's monitor, not sure how that works.
Buh-Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment